Spicy Sausage and Cheddar Stuffing – Low Carb and Gluten Free. This recipe is from alldayidreamaboutfood.com and it’s billed as the ultimate, low-carb, gluten-free stuffing recipe — a perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish. It uses the recipe from the previous video I shared (Cheesy Skillet Bread) so you’ll want to make that a day or two ahead of making the stuffing, or feel free to use any other low carb bread you have on hand. Either way this is a pretty good low-carb stuffing. Due to the instructions to dry out the bread cubes as much as possible, I found some of them remained dry and crunchy in the final dish, so next time I think I’ll increase the chicken broth to 1 cup. (If you’re actually using it to stuff a bird, you shouldn’t need any extra liquid.) Otherwise, we enjoyed this, it was quite tasty.
1 recipe Cheesy Skillet Bread [from my previous video]
1 pound spicy Italian sausage (I used a jalapeño cheddar sausage)
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (I suggest a full cup)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. A day or two in advance, make the skillet bread and cube into 1/2 inch pieces. Preheat oven to 200F / 95C. Spread bread cubes on a large baking sheet and bake 2 to 3 hours, until well dried and crisp. Let sit out overnight to continue to dry.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add sausage; sauté until just cooked through, about 6 minutes, breaking up large chunks with a wooden spoon.
3. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl. Add celery, onion, garlic, sage, salt and pepper to skillet and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to sausage.
4. Preheat oven to 350F / 180C and butter a large 13x9 inch / 22x33 cm glass baking dish. Add cubed bread to sausage mixture. Add chicken broth and toss to combine.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with cream and pour over mixture in bowl. Toss until well combined and transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake 35 minutes, uncovered, until top is crusty and browned.
Serves 16. Each serving has 334 Calories; 30g Fat (79.0% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 122mg Cholesterol; 529mg Sodium. Total NET CARBS = 2 g.
Tags: Spicy Sausage and Cheddar Stuffing – Low Carb and Gluten Free, eat, eating, food, thanksgiving, tasty, recipe, bread, cook, cooking, kitchen, nutrition, weight loss, diet, dinner, lunch, leftovers, holidays, christmas